East of the Sun and West of the Moon

My fascination with folklore, fables and Old Fairytales just grows and grows... I love reading them, and savouring the illustrations. They can be so evocative and atmospheric, really bringing new depth to the stories. 

I couldn't resist making one of my own. This is an interpretation of one of favourite stories form the cold North, "East of the Sun and West of the Moon" ~ a Norwegian Fairytale for a book of tales collected by Peter Christen Asbjornsen, and illustrated most famously by the Danish artist Kay Nielsen, in an art nouveau style (in 1914).    I have always adored the evocative imagery in this fable full of riddles, tests and seemingly insurmountable obstacles, as the Heroine encounters many set-backs in the path during her Quest...  
East of the Sun and West of the Moon 11.7" x 16.5" Watercolor / Mixed Media on paper

It's also a beautiful reminder for me (and everyone else on a mission) that with the right allies and helpers, you can get there in the end! 
Catherine Athena xo

Comments

  1. Love this Cat! This is one of my favorite childhood memories, and I love your interpretation of it!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I so appreciate it.

Popular Posts