Quintessentially English Summertime

I've noticed that nothing quite says Summer here in Britain like hanging a string of bunting! 

I thought I would have some crafty make'n'mend time this week with a little bit of DIY home decor. And so I found myself rummaged through a few local charity stores ('op shops' we used to call them back in the '70's) to find some colorful fabric I thought would be perfect to make some bunting for our home. 

It's amazing how a couple of pairs of secondhand Italian trousers, one floral and one bright magenta-crimson, upcycled into little flags can so easily bring some fun color and joy into a space….but it really can! 

 I made a cardboard triangle 'mask' as a pattern, then placed it on top of the fabric and used dressmaking chalk to mark out the flag shapes and then cut them out with pinking shears. 

Here I am sewing them onto a white cord for hanging.
 And the finished result - across side walls of our kitchen….


Ending above the sink, with my painting inspired by 'Women Who Run With The Wolves'. 
{Prints of this painting are available over here.}

The whole project was £7 pounds and was an enjoyable way to spend a summer afternoon and evening. 

Wishing you many reasons to celebrate and be creative this Summer! 

Blessings of beauty,
Catherine Athena xo

Comments

Popular Posts